It’s interesting how completely an activity which is only debatably ‘work’ can take over one’s life. According to my daily work log (It’s useful knowing what I did, and it’s morale boosting to be able to put in big events), since the last time I wrote one of these I have:
- Completed the second (though not final) draft of my upcoming cupcake novella,
- Gone on a brief break to the seaside in which I glared at the gloomy ocean and found a creepy stone with a hole through it,
- Written a large short story’s worth of material that will go nowhere,
- Written a large short story/short novella that will need to be rewritten from scratch,
- And experimented with having a daily ‘schedule’.
Boy, schedules are something else. Now instead of generic procrastination, I know exactly what it is I’m failing to actually do on an hour by hour basis. The Google Calendars application and their various applications to set that up to be displayed on my leftmost computer’s desktop is hugely useful.
As part of this, as of this coming Wednesday, I’m going to be throwing myself at my novel with the undecided WIP title of ‘The Pirate’s Beard’ or ‘The Brocade Goat’, and we’ll see how that works out. It’s properly on my schedule now, along with finalizing my cupcake novella, ‘Dangerous Jade’.
Why Wednesday, you might reasonably ask? Because on Tuesday I’m attending a launch event for Terry Pratchett’s new book. Quite excited about that.
Hopefully the end result of all this will be prose that you, the reader/consumer, can appreciate.